Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jack


A lot of you may well know that Luke's Dad, Jack, went to Heaven on Sunday morning. He died after a few short months of being diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer.
Now I never had long serious talks with Jack and we never had more than casual conversations which usually included blonde jokes, but this is my blog... so it's MY take on Jack.

The first time I met Jack, he tried his hardest to crack a joke. Obviously, I had been prepared for a "meet the boyfriend's parents" with a formal and awkward introduction. So I wasn't really prepared for Jack. I honestly felt like a dumb blonde. I had no idea what he was talking about and why everyone else thought it was so funny. I do believe this was probably the moment of failure because from then on, he pretty much just tried to doop me every chance he got.

My first frustration with Jack was at our wedding. Jack refused to rent a tux.(insert eye roll) We must have had at least ten tuxedos running around that day, and the father of the groom was not one of them. Stubborn to the core!!!! He also thought I should be a mountain bike rider... ummm no, he thought wrong!

I, to be honest, never really fully understood the photography that he did. And I say this as a very tragic flaw on my part. I suppose, it's because he really only showed me his favorites. Yesterday, I had the privilege of putting together a 15 minute slideshow, showcasing some of his best photos. And now, I've finally seen MY favorites. The thing I think I love the most is that it really shows me all the places he's been and the things he's seen. Some of them so breathtaking, they create a moment of awe. Watching him go through this disease, from a cane, to a walker, to bed ridden.... the places this man has seen and captured is one of the most beautiful testimonies to him that he could've left behind.

Jack taught me how to fish. Okay, let me specify. My dad (who is the coolest guy I'll ever know) taught me stop getting the lure caught in the trees. Jack taught me how to skunk my dad :D And now, my dad refuses to fish with me. (Sore loser!!!)

Jack was there last year for my first hunting trip. He spotted the deer and pretty much knew where they were for my tactical maneuvers. And yes, we got it.

Jack was the babysitter. He was the one that got down on the floor with the babies and played their games. He watched their movies. He just spent time. And that's probably one of the lessons I want to take away from him. That... time doing what others like and enjoy is the best time spent.

What I've learned...I believe there really is something special about a photographer. They have to be stealth, they have to feel their environment, they know the terrain, and they're patient to the end.

I'm not really sure I have the qualities that Jack did. Although, I learned to throw a mean comeback in his face when he decided to razz me about my hair color. His passing was graceful, and painful, and confusing, and in a lot of ways.... just Jack.

I've never actually taken a first hand grip on planning someone's funeral and let me just say...
this has been the longest week of my life.
P.S. I'll probably change this post, based on the things I remember.






No comments: