Saturday, August 9, 2008

The untitled...


So, most of you know me now, but here's a glimpse into the me then

Luke left today for a week in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I never thought it would bring up all of these thoughts. The memories that I sort of wanted to remember and wanted to forget all at the same time. Memories of difficulty, pain, and change.

Luke left for Antonio, Texas on Sept 3rd, 1997. I felt like I was going to die that day. I was 7 months pregnant with our first baby. So I moved back into my parents house, and waited.....waited to hear from him.
( Every military wife will tell you this feeling. The feelings you get when they leave. First, it's everytime someone looks at you, then it gets to everytime someone talks to you, finally you get strong enough to hear someone ask "how are you?" Without feeling your lips quiver and your eyes well up with tears.)
Finally, in what seemed like forever, I got a phone call from him. All he could do was tell me his address and hang up. All I could do was cry.
I wrote dozens of letters and sent packages every week.

I didn't care if he read them or not, I just wanted to make sure that he was flooded with love letters every time mail call was given.
Once he graduated basic training and was sent to tech school he could at least call me.
The day that we will both never forget is the day our first son was born. Luke was on the phone in Texas and I was here, with our new baby boy. The first time he called he was hung up on...(my silly mom)...the second time.....

The phone rang and before a word was heard....the cries of a brand new baby wailed into the reciever of the phone.

(This photo was taken when Justin was 8 weeks old...it was Luke's first visit home.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds terribly hard but wonderfully sweet.