Monday, May 26, 2008

It's Like Magic




So my husband and I decided that the kids needed a dog. (Last summer) We chose a yellow lab because they're suppose to be these wonderful family dogs and really smart and great for kids. So we did it, we bought our kids a yellow lab puppy last memorial day weekend. Of course she was cute and cuddly and the most adorable thing. The kids loved her and played with her.




Then we had her for a day. I am convinced that puppies are cute so people won't kill them. We now have dead grass spots all over the yard. Holes next to the fence and planting any trees or bushes is just a waste of time and money.


Ok, ok, so it just grass and she's just a puppy (70lb puppy), this stage will pass.


We even hired a dog trainer to personally come to our home and help us train her. That was actually worth it. By the time Ginger was 6 months old...she knew all the basic commands plus extras like play dead, crawl, spin in a circle. That's great!


But the challenge with her is a bit more serious. She has never challenged mine or Luke's authority. She knows I'm the boss and I will pick her up and lay her on the floor if she dares to challenge me. I will never let her win. The kids, however are a completely different story. The second she thinks I'm not looking, she jumps up on them, bites them and is constantly pestering them.


I looked out the window yesterday to find Justin in tears and hitting her from frustration. THIS MUST STOP NOW! Luke and I were at a stand still, we've done everything we could but this was when our backs were turned. Our kids have been told what to do, but when a 70lb puppy charges a 59 lb kid full throttle, there's little you can do. It was coming down to giving her up.


Then we had a brilliant idea. The shock collar. Some people will argue that it's cruel, but we don't put the level up to it's full potential. Not only that, but my children's legs and arms should not be her personal chew toy.


Luke tried it on his arm first. ZZZZ "Yep, it works!" So we straped it on. It's the most hillarious thing I've ever seen. Ok, so I feel a little rotten for laughing.But it's the funniest thing to watch. Luke and I sat in the window where the dog couldn't see us, let the kids out and hit the remote everytime she jumped or bit the kids. It really only took one time for her to figure out, she didn't want to ever do that again. So we set a challenge in front of her...we sent the kids outside with their dinner in tow. Let me just say, whoever invented these things deserves a big hug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a Bernese Mountain dog who is under a year and 100lbs already. He's a pain in the butt too and I also bought a shock collar and am gung ho about getting that puppy to obey!!!